Tourist Refund Scheme, GST Tax Refund Malaysia
Goods and Services Tax (GST) Refund for Tourists in Malaysia www.gstmalaysia.org
: Here are some of the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) from overseas tourists to
Malaysia on Tourist Tax Refund of GST paid for
goods purchased while they are in Malaysia.
(1) From 1 April 2015, tourists can only claim back refund of GST tax (goods and services tax) on goods
purchased from approved outlets in Malaysia. These outlets will bear the
TRS logo, Tourist Refund Scheme (TRS) Logo.
- If you buy in shops that do not participate in the tourist refund scheme (TRS),
you will not get any tax refund.
(2) Tourists are advised to bring along their passport when they go shopping as the approved
outlets will need proof and to issue tax invoice. Tourists are advised to request for tax
invoices from approved outlets.
(3) Tourists must request for the tourist refund form from the approved outlet. The outlet
will key in the tourist's passport details into the TRS system. The approved charges a fee to process the
The Tourist can only receive a refund form from the Approved Outlet where the
eligible goods have been bought. A refund form cannot be issued by the customs officer at
(a list of
airport under the Tourist Refund Scheme TRS).
(4) Tourists can only claim tax refund for purchases of RM300 or more from the same
approved outlet. These purchases can be for a series of days from the same outlet.
(5) Tourists are to present the (i) goods (ii) tax refund form (iii) tax invoice to the
Malaysian Customs Officer at the GST Refund Verification Counter at the airport prior to
(6) The GST Refund Verification Counter is found before and after the
passport control at the airport departure hall.
(a) Before passport control
Present the bulky goods to the Customs Officer at the GST Refund Verification Counter
before checking in the baggage.
(b) After passport control
For items not checked in, present the goods to the Customs Officer at the GST Refund Verification
Counter. It is advisable to carry high-value, small items for verification.
(7) Tourist is to find the Tourist Refund Agent located near the GST Refund Verification
Counter after customs verification. The tourist refund agent will refund the tax to the tourist with cash,
credit card account or bank cheque.
(8) Tourist tax refund is only claimable for exit from Malaysian airports.
- If you exit by ship or land, no tax refund for tourist e.g. if you drive through the Johor causeway by
land exiting Johor into Singapore.
(9) Purchases must not be made more than 3 months before departure.
(10) See below for more information on frequently asked questions (FAQ) on tourist tax refund scheme in
Leave Your Comments
List of Airport in Malaysia
participate in the Tourist Refund Scheme for Tourist GST Tax Refund
Categories: tax refund
Tags: tourist gst refund, gst refund for tourist, tourist refund, tourist tax refund, tax refund tourist, tax refund for
tourist, tourist refund scheme, tax refund tourist malaysia, malaysia tax refund tourist, malaysia tourist tax refund, tax refund malaysia tourist, tourist tax refund malaysia
Share on whatsapp
Main Website: www.gstmalaysia.org Youtube Channel:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/GSTMalaysia.GST.Malaysia.MalaysiaGST.GSTTax